Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The Stairs at Belfast Library

An old woman sits,
her body like granite,
stiff and cold.
The spaces between the joints have been patched.
It was a rough job but she assures herself that it is only noticed
if someone gets too close.
The tinted powder brushed over her face,
an attempt at capturing a little of her youth back,
is rubbing off in spots.
From a distance however,she is quite attractive.
Still, she sighs, there are age spots
like a persistent mildew
settling deep in her skin. And
just yesterday she noticed
a yellowish stain beginning as well.
She smiles despite this, it is after all
a part of aging, that which makes her
a landmark in this little town.
In the neighborhood old friends have
passed on or had face lifts,
new friends are moving in
sporting the latest trends in fashion.
But the old lady remains a constant,
waking each morning to sweep the cobwebs from her face,
place a dress that looks much like a garden, on her body.
She seems content in knowing that we all age
but it is important to find beauty and usefulness in the
wake of it. After all, she might not be structurally sound
but she is sturdy enough to get the job done.
And for her, as well as the people who pass her everyday,
it is enough.

5 comments:

  1. I love the comparison between the old lady and the granite--a great simile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am whisked away while "She sweeps the cobwebs from her face" I'd also like to know where she bought the overly-floral dress. I hope they don't have my size!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you compared the woman to granite. Your whole writing piece was very strongly and well worded

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my favorite line :"there are age spots
    like a persistent mildew settling deep in her skin." what a good way of describing these spots.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice compraiion. I like that she is not what she used to be, but she gets the job done.

    ReplyDelete